Followers

Friday, March 18, 2005

Hoss Bitches, Then Bows

I'm back in the Old Folks' Home where I sent myself to die. I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

Spent 3 days in the hospital with Brain Dead Disease. You get that when they tell you to quit smoking, and you don't. So now I've had lung disease, heart attack, prostate cancer, ruptured appendix. I'm probably due for hangnail.

I wish I could get one of them Hollywood diseases. Lou Gerhig's, paralysis, alcoholism, idiot savant -- all good movies. Maybe a slow motion tour of the colon?

I'd sure like to make a pile before I pass.

+ + + + + + + +

I want you to know that during my stay in the lungery I didn't once appeal to Big Ernie for help. I suppose there's room for a God in the world; has to be, since there's so many of 'em -- like, Lord, Allah, Ra, Yaweh, Homey.

And He/She did a pretty good job on some stuff, like the Ten Commandments. Coulda been more, I suppose, like "Don't mess with Texas." But I think Moses hisself chiseled out those do's and don'ts. See, he was a scrawny little guy and didn't think the followers would take to commandments from a wimp. So he made up this God fig newton.

One of the commandments says there oughta be no killing. As you know, that was a loser right from the start. In Ireland, Protestants and Catholics killing each other In.The.Name.Of.Religion. Mideast, Arabs killing In.The.Name.Of.Religion. Nothing new there.

What kind of career choice is "suicide bomber?" "Well, Bob, you don't have to work much." They ought to get 'em an Ebola franchise for all the good they're doing.

HOWEVER, there just might be a God thing, so I'm willing to play along in hopes of finally making my pile. What I'm proposing to God is to develop his "Ignore List." I would tell him the kinds of people whose prayers He can safely ignore. This would be people like The Newly Rejected Lover, The Guy Who's Going to Die Tomorrow Anyway, Greedy Old Bastards Who Don't Tithe -- you get the picture. Then God would get a lot of time off to work on his nine-iron.

I wouldn't ask for much. Maybe a couple of streets paved with gold.

+ + + + + + +

This is Ol' Hoss's swan song as a blogger, sad to say. I'm too sick to continue, but not in immediate danger of having to cash in my gold streets. I'm going to continue to read your stuff, so you might be hearing from me.

You who have been reading the sometimes-true stories of Hoss have been very kind. Thank you.

32 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Though I've only known your site a short time, I grew to like it a lot and it's sad to see you stop posting. Well good luck with everything that you have to do still and dont be a stranger on my site. Goodbye OHS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. I'm gonna miss ya Hoss. :(
    Take good care of yourself!
    Lois Lane
    P.S. you got my e-mail and know how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I have been reading your site everyday since you told me about it at work that one day. I have really been enjoying reading things from your point of view. I am sad to hear you will no longer be posting and I am sorry that you were in the hospital. I will jcome and see you one day when I can get in there undetected Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gene you take care of yourself and I hope to see you in blogland.

    Your blog was such fun, such a unique voice, I hate to see you stop, but I guess I understand.

    All the best
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:41 AM

    I enjoyed reading you too. I'll be thinking about you when we drive to Oregon this summer.

    MollieBee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoss, a star in our sky just blinked out of existence. I will miss hearing the stories and reading the words of a true literary wonder. Nobody spun a phrase quite like you.

    Enough of the mushy shit - here's to your health, to the future, and to that nurse on the late night shift that hopefully someday will realize she owes you a hummer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoss
    I hate to see you go. I really enjoyed your site. Got the word on dear ols mom today. She's about to go thrugh the same thing you are. I'm going to move you to the escaped list. Don't wanna put you on the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna miss your exploits at the Old Folks Home! Please stop over at my place and visit. I missed your words of wisdom while you were gone.

    Take care OHS! I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you weren't quitting, that's all I can say. I love your blog, you're a great daily, non-self-pitying read; a good example for all us younguns out there.

    Keep me posted (on my blog, email, whatever). I'll be waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll really miss your wonderful witty insane posts, but will feel better knowing that you're lurking over my shoulder once in a while. God(dess) bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. d'oh!!! oh no!! hate to see you leave us OHS, damn that sukks!!!

    stop in and yell at us from time to time will ya?

    yeah, like that! =) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Lord n' butter, Hoss! I just found your site and now you're gonna stop writing. Your wit is wonderful; much like I'd expect from Steven Wright and Garrison Keillor after long pub-crawl.
    I hope you rally and re-consider. In any event, we'll keep good thoughts for you.

    Tom Williams (Chenoah's hubster)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh! i'll miss you!! :"(

    i just saw your comment over at Autumn's and i'm so sad to hear that you are going to quit your blog. your posts are so fun and always give me a chuckle. i totally understand that you gotta think of your health but do stop by my blog and check in now and then, ok?

    and i'm gonna leave you in my links section so other people can still find your old posts and just in case you get wild and crazy and decide to post some new ones on occasion!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, man! I love your stories. I hope you get better and make a grand return. Please take care of your sarcastic self. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry that you are leaving the bloggin world! I was just introduced to your site about a month ago and have read all of the old stuff up to the new stuff. I'm really going to miss your stories and wonderful way with words. Take care of yourself and maybe we'll see ya again when you are feeling better. Or, just post every 6 months or so, so that we can get a little "fix".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michele sent me.

    I want you to remember the scene from "Little Big Man" when the wise blind old Native American has his adopted son Dustin Hoffman take him up into the hills to die. He lies down in a dignified manner and waits to die. And waits, and waits. Then it starts raining. Then his eyes start twitching when the rain falls on them. Then it starts raining harder. And so he gets up, and says, "well sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't" and cheerfully goes back down the hill with Dustin, chatting happily all the way. We never really know. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michele sent me, but ordinarily I come here all on my own. And now you're LEAVING? Oh please, don't.

    Blogging is, in and of itself, one of the best therapies in the world.

    As your blog is one of the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michele sent me! I wish you the very best! You will be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michele sent me. I've just spent a few minutes reading your blog, and found myself laughing aloud at your tales. I'm sorry that you won't be blogging any longer. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  20. you'll be senseing a trend here... "michelle sent me".

    michelle has much power. she commands, we follow. and sometimes we are rewarded with rich rewards, like this time.

    i'm sorry to see you go, since i just found you today, but i will content myself with reading archives.

    sending you lots of positive mojo...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Feel better soon. I think you'll be kicking it a lot longer than you think :) Here's to a grand comeback as a blogger once you are back to sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes Michele sent me and I have laughed and cried. Laughed becaused you have some great post here full of wonderful humor and the teaars are for the sadness for I just found you as you are closing shop. I will never know you personally as so many others have had the chance to for they have been visiting with you and are your friend. Blogging is wonderful in many ways and you have added so much that is so obvious. If you have room for another blogging friend, please stop by my site at anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Michele sent me. This is my first time here. I am sorry about you leaving I would have liked to have read more of your story. take care...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11:19 AM

    You are such great site and I just discovered it now via Michele. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

    You are a wonderful and unique writer. I can tell already. I will be reading through your archives.

    If you do ever find out about that God thing, come back and tell us about it, please.

    Best Wishes. Congratulations on a wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:48 AM

    well I've dropped by from time to time as I've seen your comments on several places I visit as well. I guess I should have left a comment before but I often don't do the things I should. Good Luck, God Speed, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Folks don't need to worry about Hoss. As I am telling people these days, I got me a great reincarnatin' plan. Tell you how many gold-paved streets I got when I get back. Hoo boy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hoss, Michele sent me and I am sorry to say I've never read you before - but I am going to go back into the archives and read it all. I'm sorry you're sick - and I'm glad you are getting a head start on the reincarnation plan - that will help when the time comes, I think. Good luck with whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just learned of your site thru Michele, and am sorry to have missed all your posts...looks like alot of fun. Take care and I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. go figure i'd be day late and a dollar short. I just found you, via Michele and you're stopping! I'm going to bookmark anyway and read old stuff, like you said in a previous post.

    hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Michelle sent me..

    Take care! And thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Although many people have told you this I wish to repeat the sentiment: you are a wonderful man and a delight to have known. Although I was unable to visit your site often, when I did you always made me smile and often laugh-out-loud. You will be missed. Muchly. Thank you for sharing a little bit of yourself with me. I am richer because of it. Hugs to you from me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am sorry to see that you are gone. Michele sent me.

    ReplyDelete