
Freedom and I have been together 10 years this spring. She came in as a baby with two broken wings. Her bill doesn't open all the way, even after surgery. When Freedom came in she could not stand. She was emaciated and full of lice. We made the decision to give her a chance at life, so I took her to the Vets office. From then on, I was always near. We had her in a huge dog carrier with the top off and she would lay there looking at me with those big brown eyes. We also hand fed her for weeks.
This went on for four-six weeks and by then she still couldn't stand. It got to the point where the decision was made to euthanize her if she couldn't stand in a week. She was going to be put down that Friday, and I was supposed to cdome in on that Thursday afternoon. I didn't go because I couldn't stand the thought her her beging euthanized.
But I went in on Friday and when I walked in everyone was grinning from ear to ear. I immediately went back to her dog cage and there she was, standing on her own, a big beautiful Bald Eagle. She was ready to live. We knew she could never fly, so the director had me train Freedom to walk. I got her used to the glove and jessies.
In the spring of 2000 I was diagnosed with non-Hodkin's lymphoma. I had stage 3 which is not good. I wound up doing eight months of chemo. When I felt well enough I go take Freedom for walks again. Fast forward to fall of 2008 waiting for the last tests. In a few days I had them: all the cancer was gone!
On a side note: I have had people who were very sick come up to us when we were out and Freedom seems to have some kind of hold on them. We once had a guy with terminal cancer come up to us and I let him hold her. His knees just about buckled and he swore he could feel her power coarse through his body. I have so many stories like that.
+ + + + + + + +
There are three religious truths:
a. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
b. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
c. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.
+ + + + + + + +
My favorite word today is Superman. N., man with steelies. Def.: The man who stops bullets with his chest but ducks with you throw the revolver at him.

No comments:
Post a Comment