At dinner, Gretchen Howcome was mulling the pending Martin Luther King/Presidents' Day holidays. She pointed out, in a pointy-nose way, that people who work here will get pay at 1 1/2 times their normal rate if they labor on those days.
Gretchen: "It's not fair" (and, yes, it's only been a few days since Maude had the same complaint, only about something else).
Me: "What not?"
Gretchen: "We inmates of the old folks home don't get the same opportunity. The government is screwing us again."
Me: "How is that?" (I should know better. I should let this die. But the words slipped out of my mouth, along with some bacon fat.)
Gretchen: "Well, since we don't work, we don't get a chance to get time and a half pay from Social Security on the holidays. We get paid by the month, but we live minute by minute. So we should get time and a half on holidays. Why can't our goddamn Congresspeople quit screwing us over? I've just about had it. I think I'll move to Canada. My drugs come from there, anyway."
Me: "If you're illegally importing drugs from Canada, you're not supporting Our President and The American Way."
Gretchen: "Who cares about that? I want what's fair. For screwing me over, they should pay me DOUBLE time on holidays. Geejus, they just don't understand what the upkeep is on a Mercedes."
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(328)
-
▼
January
(22)
- Diversity (Rant Division)
- A Lesson in Civics
- I'm Odd, Not Strange
- We Pick the Oscar Winner
- Born to Run, On and On and On
- You're So Lucky
- Maybe I'm Drunk
- All Booked Up
- You Don't Need to Know This
- Sex on Crutches
- I Can't Win -- and Don't
- What's This on My Plate?
- Music Hath Charmins
- Dreaming and Other Cabbages
- The Elderly Get Screwed
- Gimme That Old Time Religion
- It's a Rap
- A Site to Behold
- It Was No Cakewalk, After All
- Careful Where You Sit
- What Is This?
- Short Shrift Sunday #8
-
▼
January
(22)
Sunday, January 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment