Followers

Blog Archive

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Feelgood Feels His Oats


The knocking at the door is Feelgood Haines. I know this because he's one of those who gives you a signal (rap-rap, pause, rap-rap-rap, pause, one loud RAP). I start to say "Come in," but he is already in.

Feelgood: "Why didn't you tell me you was goin' off to the Midwest? I coulda told you a lot about it."

Hoss: "I'm sure you could, Feelgood, but I just went in my ignorance and hoped for the best."

Feelgood: "Did you know DeSoto was there lookin' for golden cities? But he died up, and so his buddies had to bury him in the Mississippi so the Indians wouldn't know he was dead on accounta they was kinda scared of the Indians."

Hoss: "I didn't see any golden cities, either. So what has this got to do with me?"

Feelgood: "So I guess you don't care about Coronado bein' there, either."

Hoss: "None of them Spanish guys ever slipped me any tortillas."

Feelgood: "Well, then, how about the land rush? President Roosevelt the First signed a bill that let people homestead, and the train brought thousands of folks to the borders so they could get in on the free land scam."

Hoss: "Are you talking about Michigan?"

Feelgood: "Hell, no, this is all about Oklahoma. Ain't that where you went? Christ, if you don't know where you're goin', how the hell am I gonna help you out?"

+ + + + + + + +

My favorite word today is life. N., one thing after another. Def.: Three games of chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment