Feelgood Haines and I are driving down I-5 to go to the Oregon Historical Society meeting. I say to Feelgood, designated driver and full-blooded historian of the Old Folks' Home where we are both incarcerated, "You ain't driving very fast."
Feelgood: "I'm goin' 100."
Ol' Hoss: "You dope. That's 100 KILOMETERS per hour. You're only doing about 60 American."
Feelgood: "I have decided to live metric. 'One hundred centimeters, one meter, buckle my shoe; 1,000 meters, one kilometer, sheesh, who knew?'"
Hoss: "What's wrong with inches and feets and yards, and gills and rods and acres?"
Feelgood: "Metric is lots simpler. And don't start on thinking about how to convert things, like multiplying gallons by 3.8 to get liters. Which I guess, isn't true in Canada, where you have to multiply by 4.546. So see, that don't make it simple after all."
Hoss: "So how is it better?"
Feelgood: "Because the rest of the world says it is. We is the last bastion of the 1/4 inch. Don't that begin to make you feel lonely? Here's a memory crutch for you Hoss. You know how quaint everybody thinks the English people in England talk? That's because they got a metric system. Think of it this way:
"The math that comes from the quaint,
"Is much, much better than ain't."
Hoss: "So, summing up, what is the advantage of metric?"
Feelgood: "You drive 100, like me. It's a lot safer."
+ + + + + + + +
My favorite word today is glue. N., nectar of the Gods. Def.: The sticky residue left on your coffee table when rose petals fall and overstay their leave.
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(328)
-
▼
November
(26)
- Another 'Can't Miss' Book
- Football Is Not for Sissies
- Dream On
- Short Shrift Sunday #4
- Short Shrift Saturday #4
- Just About Broke
- Back in the Saddle Again
- My Wife, Betty Maudlin, 1937-2005
- Explaining Metrics
- What Would Freud Say?
- I Did Too Finish My 50,000 Word Novel
- One for the Books
- Never Too Late for a Born Writer
- Back When Nobody Spelt Good
- Have You Had Your Silicone Today?
- The History of Smoking
- Assorted Fragments
- Food for Thought and Eats
- Way Back When I Was Younger
- Feet on the Ottoman
- The Dawn of 'The New Education'
- Hoss Has the Day Off
- Your Life Made Really Easy -- for a Price
- Working Hard But Losing Ground
- All the Money Is in Groceries, Not Food
- All in the Timing
-
▼
November
(26)
Friday, November 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment