Because I am so old, I will tell you an old story. Old people love to reminisce. It reminds us of the days when we still had prostates and teeth.
Lane County, Oregon, stretches from the Cascade Mountains to the Pacific Coast. In this county is the small community of Noti. Here is how that name came about:
A trapper and an Indian needed to get to the coast from the hinterlands, and they only had one horse. So they agreed that the trapper would ride ahead for a few miles, tie up the horse, and take off on foot. The Indian would hike to where the horse was, ride a few miles past the trapper, tie up the horse and start hiking. This way they both would get to the coast a little faster than just walking.
So the trapper took the horse, went a few miles -- and kept on going. The Indian got to the place where he expected to find the horse, and said, "Trapper, him no tie." And right there today sits the village of Noti.
+ + + + + + + +
I read a story where some Internet muck-de-mucks say they are providing a new domain for pornographers. Instead of using .net or .com like you and I do, the porno people would use .xxx. That is SO cute. You know, it would be, like, X-rated? They might be doing this so children will be better able to find Internet porn. I don't know if Al Gore invented this idea.
Anyway, when I was growing up, XXX stood for poison. You didn't want to drink nuthin' that had XXX on the bottle. (Likewise, you didn't wanna mess with anybody who had 666 on his forehead.)
What they seem to be doing here is combining the .xxx with the XXX, and then we all can get a Poison Porn Pal.
+ + + + + + + +
I think I could stand to be gay if I could get some women involved. Maybe that defeats the purpose. I don't know.
+ + + + + + + +
TanLucyPez had a piece about childhood in which she mentioned a "brouhaha and hullabaloo."
So, my favorite word today is brouhaha. n., from Pepys Diary. Def. There's something funny about this beer.
+ + + + + + + +
Matey says:
"Of course there's no reason for it; it's just our policy."
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(328)
-
▼
June
(30)
- Having Dinner With Abe Lincoln
- It's Always All About Me
- An Adventure in Fine Dying and Dining
- Lookee What Hoss Finded
- Pretty As a Welsh Town
- Hoss Is Warming to the Task
- Names Were Made to Be Sold
- Interesting Experiences You Can Buy
- Hoss May Have a Girlish Figure
- My Kingdom for a Horsemeat
- Revising Ezekiel
- Doing What Comes Naturally: Dying
- Orcas Will Do Their All for Hoss
- Eclectic = Death, Inventions, Bigfoots
- To Keep On Keepin' On
- Good Grief! Hoss Had a Childhood?
- Here's Your Christmas Letter
- Go Meet an Artiste
- Bury These Guys on the Lone Prairie
- Time Waits for No Hoss
- Movies of Which I'm Partial To
- The Things That I Could Tell You
- Speaking Up to Make My Pile
- Warning: A Change of Pace
- This Is Not About a 20-Mule Team
- You Won't Be Here Very Long
- I Am So Relaxed
- Is This Idea Any Stinking Good?
- That's Interesting, Hoss. Not.
- Food for Thought & Explaining Hoss
-
▼
June
(30)
Monday, June 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment